Thursday 3 June 2010

Sepia Saturday Week 26

I have often noted how our American posts on Sepia Saturday frequently tell the story of great population movements. Not satisfied with migrating from the Old World to the New World, within a generation or so, families will load their possessions into covered wagons or old Model T's and move from Virginia to Ohio, Ohio, to Kansas, and then Kansas to California with a courage and determination that can only be admired. This contrasts with the situation here in Britain where, on a fine day, I can comfortably walk from where I live now to where my great-great grandfather Joseph Burnett was born over two hundred years ago. But such stereotypes are always flawed, as I was reminded by the lovely post by Cindy on last weeks' Sepia Saturday. She used a photograph of her great grandparents sat outside the "home place" land which is still in the family today. The old house may be being torn down but the land remains and it is the land - and these old photographs of ours - that soak up the memories.

We will be having another round of memories this week on Sepia Saturday Week 26. Sign up on the Linky List below and share your images and your memories.

13 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

It's been a busy couple of weeks and I sincerely apologize for not having got round to the bulk of the stories from last week. I'm in the middle of trying to get my volume of poems into shape with a less than compliant person working at a small printing establishment. As well, I am doing a reading for a local Arts Festival this weekend, so I may have to opt out for this Saturday (or only post something quite short).
I promise to get back on track with everyone in the near future.

Kat

Unknown said...

We're all pullinf for you, Kat! Looking forward to SS as always.

Unknown said...

We're also pulling for you!

Anonymous said...

I stated last week that I had lost my folder containing all my old pics. Yesterday I realised that I had put them all in a photo album the week before, and put it in the fridge!

My excuse is that I'm getting old. . . Now where did I put my cup of tea?

Alan Burnett said...

Mine is now up - only 30 minutes into Saturday (British time).

tony said...

I am putting up a post this week(!) But it wont be until this afternoon.

Enchanted Oak said...

My remembrance is Fat Boy Gets His.

Vicki Lane said...

I'll get around to visit everyone eventually -- we have a dinner party tonight and I've got to scurry round all day cooking and cleaning...

Nana Jo said...

Good luck, Kat! I'll be eagerly reading everyone's posts gradually over the weekend.

Tattered and Lost said...

For me nearly every day is Sepia Saturday. I'm drawn in to vintage photos and enjoy seeing the many posted for Sepia Saturday. Perhaps some of your readers will enjoy my post today about a woman lost to history, Jessie Blue Light.

Anonymous said...

Better late than never. Loved your story.
QMM

neetzy said...

Alan,

My dad visited relatives in Britain last year. He noted that they all live in the same neighborhood. I think that is amazing! They get together for dinner, birthdays, etc. Here we are so far apart, each pursuing our version of the
"American dream".

Sean Bentley said...

A tad belated this week...it's Sunday in England already. But I underwent a time warp this afternoon...